Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Review: The Year Of The Great Seventh

The Year of the Great SeventhRelease Date: 7/6/2013
Genre: YA Egyptian Mythology 
Author: Teresa Orts
Goodreads Link: "Here"  
Summary: 
Sophie has always felt out of step — an outsider, even amongst friends in her high school with all the hype about celebrity culture. Her life in L.A. seems to have been already written for her, but when her junior year starts, it all takes a drastic turn. When she crosses paths with the school's heartthrob, Nate Werner, they fall for each other in a way neither can understand. What they don’t know is that by giving in to their desires, they are unlocking an ancient Egyptian prophecy that threatens to return Earth to the dark ages.

To undo the curse, Nate and Sophie embark on an adventure that takes them across the country. But their quest is not only to save the world as they know it. It is also a fight for their very survival. Behind the scenes, there are those that are counting on them to fail.
 
 
 
My Thoughts: 
 
 The Year of the Seventh is very intriguing and engrossing. I loved the Egyptian Mythology, but the book was confusing at times. I liked the main characters, but I felt very disconnected from them. Overall, I did really enjoy this book; it just had some flaws that took away from the story.

 I haven't read an Egyptian mythology before and I really liked it. I loved how this book was Egyptian Mythology instead of the normal Greek Mythology. I feel like it brings some originality to the book. Even though I truly did enjoy the mythology I found it to be confusing in spots. Some of the mythology related things were under explained, making it confusing to people who know nothing about Egyptian Mythology; like me. The book also focuses a little bit on life of a teenager in L.A.  I feel like those parts of the story were just taking time away from the mythology, especially because they don't affect the storyline.

 I really enjoyed reading about the main characters. They were fun to read about, but I felt so disconnected with them. I wish I was more connected with them, but sadly I wasn't. I felt like every character that didn’t have to do with the mythology part of the book kind of got in the way of the story. With that being said I still enjoy a lot of the background characters.

 Overall, I really enjoyed The Year of the Great Seventh flaws and all. The Egyptian Mythology was great and extremely fun to read about. The characters were fun to read about, even though I had some issues with them. I recommend this book to anyone looking a great mythology.
  
My Rating:

3 hearts, It was good, but it had some flaws.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love and appreciate comments!